Friday, April 15, 2011

Easter Fun: Tie Dyed Eggs

My friend Megan suggested we do this fun activity, dying eggs with pieces of silk ties. Her sister recommended this tutorial from OurBestBites (a blog I've recently come to love!). See their tutorial here. So last night Megan and I made a DI run to pick up some ties and grabbed some eggs.

Our Ties:
Mine
Megan's
After cutting apart our ties we wrapped the eggs with the silk pieces.
Next you're supposed to wrap them in fabric similar to a pillowcase. We couldn't find any pillowcases at DI but we did find a white scrubs shirt that we cut apart to use for this step.
Then we put these in water and brought them to a boil then let them simmer for a little over 20 minutes.
To make sure the eggs were submerged in one pot I did this:
Now for the results:
We discovered that the blue hued ties didn't really transfer colors very well. The best are ties that have red, orange, or pink in them.
I think these were my favorite. I love how the intricate details came out.
A couple of Megan's didn't turn out (again the blue color thing). But this one turned out really well.
Pretty cool activity, huh? Hooray for the Easter season.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, pretty! Looks like a fun craft! ps - Who knew there aren't pillow cases at DI?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! Seriously, what a great idea for coloring eggs:)

    551eastdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete