Monday, March 5, 2012

My Rant About Honesty

Several weeks ago I was out looking for a table and chair set. After looking at several stores I set my GPS for Big Lots hearing that they had a couple. As I pulled into my parking space a man was pulling out beside me. As I was walking into the store I noticed a wallet on the ground. I tried to wave the guy down but he wasn't looking back. So I took the wallet inside and left it at the front service desk. Let's just say I'm glad I found it instead of someone else.

Flash forward to today. I went to the library, walking in I noticed some money laying on the sidewalk. It was right in front of a car with a man sitting in the drivers seat, so I called out, did you drop some money? He couldn't hear me so I repeated and as soon as he started talking I knew he was a BIG FAT LIAR. He said that yes it was his and proceeded to get out and take it, saying that he'd been looking for it because he had some tickets to pay. The way he talked I could tell he was spinning a story. It was a five and a ten and he offered me the five. I said that's not my money. Anyway the situation made me totally upset. It was so completely obvious as soon as he started talking that it wasn't his but I didn't know what to do, call his bluff? And now because of that schmuck some person is out of $15 and I feel partly responsible. I should have just taken the money inside to the librarians. So my message: BE HONEST.

Dishonest people are ruining our world. Just last week I was taking out the trash and saw a man and woman looking closely at my car. I walked over and asked if I could help them. They said there was a red mark on their car from someone else's car door. I told them it wasn't me. Thankfully someone else was outside and named out the other red cars that typically park here and she said she thought she had parked next to another one. But what's sad is, they had absolutely no reason to believe me because of the liars out there.

Caleb and I have experienced this. One at night we walked outside a complex we were living at in Provo and one corner of our bumper had been crushed. No note was left, just nothing. We paid $600 of our own money to replace it when it wasn't even our fault. So my plea is please, be honest. If everyone in this world was honest then our world would be soooo much better off.

1 comment:

  1. Sad isn't it. I have to say we are really working on honesty with Aiden. Seems to be one step forward and two steps back. It sure is more acceptable in the world to be less honest.

    ReplyDelete