Sunday, March 28, 2010
Job Search
Well, graduation is drawing near and the job hunt is on. So far I've applied to over twenty different companies, and applying to more each day. The major response that I keep hearing from different companies is that they are waiting on a job and if they get it they'll start hiring again. This is pretty frustrating especially when I'm only three weeks away from graduation. I have, however, been very fortunate to get a couple of interviews these past two weeks. My first break came when I was contacted by Jacobsen Construction, a huge contractor in Utah, for an interview. I was nervous, but my first interview went well and I was called back for a second one. The second one was nerve-racking, but I think I did well. I am now waiting to see if they will offer me an internship for the summer. I really hope they do because working for Jacobsen would be my dream job, but I can't put all my eggs into one basket and I continue to apply for jobs each day. My next big break came when I attended an info session for PCL. I arrived early and sat in the very front. I also, helped the recruiter with the computer and overhead, so I was hoping that would help me get an interview. When the recruiter wrapped up he said that he had only two interview spots left and that he wanted to know who wanted them. Twenty students raised their hands. I handed my resume to the recruiter and left, thinking there was no way. A little after 9 PM I received a phone call from the recruiter informing me that I had been awarded the last interview spot. I was so relieved, because I thought there was no way that I would be given an interview with so many other candidates. I had my interview first thing in the morning at 7:30 AM. The recruiter also asked if I would check in for him online at Southwest Airlines, so I did and printed off his ticket as well. I arrived there five minutes early and found the room locked, but fortunately for me I had become friends with the main guy at BYU's career center in the weight room and he just happened to show up at 7:30 AM and he unlocked all the doors for me. Anyways, my interview went well and I felt relieved because I had done everything that I could have done and it paid off. There's still a lot more work ahead that I need to do to find a job, but at least I'm heading in the right direction.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment