Books read in July
1. Trapped, by Michael Northrop
This book reminded me of the movie The Day After Tomorrow. A group of teens get snowed in at their high school and it talks about what they do and their interactions with one another. But I felt like there wasn't really a climax to the story. Also the main character talks as though things are horrible and in the beginning hints that things get really bad, and although they do get hard I felt like it was slightly over dramatic. But when I think about it was probably more realistic to what would actually happen in a situation like that. Not a bad read.
2. The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak
This book has been recommended to me many times. When I first heard how great it was I checked it out from the library but I couldn't get past the first few pages. I'm not sure why. It just didn't interest me. Fast forward a year and I decided to give it another try and I'm glad I did. Well-written and thought provoking, I loved how it discussed the Holocaust and war from a German's point of view.
3. Everything is Fine, by Ann Dee Ellis
I saw this book recommended on another author's blog. And guess what? I totally took a class from Ann Dee Ellis at school! I think it was lit. 221 or something like that. I think it's so cool that she has published! The book is a very quick read. Not something that I'd read again and not exactly profound or anything but interesting nevertheless. It's about a girl (I'm guessing early teens) living in Utah trying to keep her life together.
4. Wither, by Lauren DeStefano
Another young adult dystopian novel. Not as well written as some of the others but an interesting idea. The premise is that women and men are dying of some mysterious virus at ages 20 and 25 respectively and the ramifications of the disease in everyday life.
5. Prisoners in the Palace, by Michaela MacColl
If you liked the movie Young Victoria, then you'll probably like this young adult novel. It reminded me so much of the movie. It's told from Victoria's lady maid's perspective.
There might have been another book but I can't remember (how sad is that?!).
Fourth of July and Vacation post coming soon!
Wednesday, August 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment