Thursday, September 1, 2011

My husband calls when he leaves work, "What are you doing?" he asks. The answer is almost always reading.

You know how sometimes you read a book and you think it's incredible, but then you think back on it later and wonder, why did I think that was so great? Or you start reading a book but don't have much interest, but then pick it up another day and can't set it down? It's fascinating how much my 'mood' dictates my reading. Not only what I choose to read but how I view the characters and plot, etc. Is it the same way for you?

Maybe I felt I had to catch up from not reading as much in July, but I hit a record of 12 books for August. A couple of them were really quick reads though.

1. Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen: I always hear about Sarah Dessen as THE teen romance author. Other author's blogs I read refer to her, etc. So when I saw this book on one of my sister's bookshelves I decided to give it a shot. It was a quick read, not an all-nighter but overall a decent read.

2. A Tale of Two Castles by Gail Carson Levine: This one was recommended to me by my cousin-in-law Jessica several months ago and my number was finally up at the library to borrow it. A fun, cute and definitely worth reading children's book (amazon.com says ages 9-12 but hello, I'm almost 25 and I totally enjoyed it) about a girl far from home making her own way in the town of Two Castles.

3. Outside In by Maria V. Snyder: I read the first in this series awhile ago, and this one was similar to the first. Young Adult novel, not spectacular (just like the first) but again I thought the concept (community traveling in space) was unique.

4. This is What I Did by Ann Dee Ellis: I love how this book (and her other book) focus so much on the main character.

5. Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg: I love Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, I also love the movies and all of the knock off novels. I've read a few over the years and I always wondered, why don't they make a high school version? A few months ago, viola! Someone did. I think the plot could have been more developed and the writing a little better, but I'm a sucker for the storyline and loved it.

6. Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix: Super quick read, others really loved it, but it was just okay for me.

7. The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer: I saw that this book as a pick of the teen board at my local library and I thought it looked interesting and it also received numerous awards. It wasn't a page-turner per say but it was interesting. With another country thrown in the mix and cloning technology available this novel explores the life of a clone.

8. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson: Definitely a book for older audiences, this mystery thriller is more on edge than what I typically read but numerous people recommended it to me. There are several...make that more than several instances that are disturbing and other places that you just skip ahead a little if you're like me. But the plot was interesting and I love Lisbeth as a character. I think she is so interesting.

9. Delirium by Lauren Oliver: A dystopian young adult novel, not as good as Hunger Games or Divergent and more on the same vein as Matched this novel was enjoyable to read.

10. Within my Heart by Tamera Alexander: A Christian Romance novel, this book is (apparently) the third book in a series. However, if you're like me and check it out not realizing this don't fret because I didn't have any trouble with the story and didn't even realize it was part of series, so it can stand on its own.

11. The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter: This book reminded me a little bit of The Lightning Thief (think Olympians).

12. Perfectly Dateless by Kristin Billerbeck: The ending was a little rushed but I enjoyed this young adult novel about a Christian girl wanting to go to prom and the ins and outs of her life (crazy parents, crush on long life friend, and new guy in town, etc).

Coming in September a really good book (referral worthy) that I just finished this morning.

2 comments:

  1. I will definitely have to check some of these out! However, I don't think Julia will let me be able to do all 12 in a month! Hope all is well Rachel!

    ReplyDelete