Sunday, February 28, 2010

Canada v U.S. or U.S. v U.S.

Canada versus The United States in hockey was kind of a joke. It was a good game, but in all reality it was the United States versus the United States. I checked afterwards to see how many of Canada's players actually played in Canada and only two members of their team actually played on teams in Canada. The rest played for teams in the United States. I know the players have Canadian citizenship, but I think it's safe to say that if Canada's players didn't play in the NHL that the Canadian hockey team would not be as good as they are. Also, I know that it's cool to go and play for the country where you were born, but they're not the one's paying you to become a better hockey player, the American sports fans are. I guess that's our own fault though, because if we didn't recruit them to come and play for our teams, the Canadians wouldn't stand a chance against us, because their players would not play in as competitive of an environment. The same holds true for the rest of the teams as well. The Russians were also loaded with NHL stars. The Olympics were pretty much the NHL v the NHL and a few other guys thrown in here and there. Canadians can say all they want, but hockey is not their sport anymore. Almost all of their players play in the U.S. and the best hockey in the world takes place in the U.S. Sure Canada develops good players, but they don't stay in Canada. Anyways, if you can't tell I was pretty bitter about Canada winning gold in hockey, basically because I felt those players were traitors to the country who had helped them achieve their level of talent. If anything they should be playing for the country in which they live, but I guess if that were true, most of the Olympic athletes from around the world would be competing for the United States since most of them train here. I hope that in four years we will dominate the Canadians at their own game. We were so close to winning that game. I also felt it wasn't a true gold because we had already beat them once. If anything they should have had to beat us twice, because the series is tied 1-1. Anyways, that's how I feel about the whole hockey issue, which is probably more than you ever wanted to know. I just hate to lose at anything, but hey at least we won the most medals overall, so that's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment